Trying to set up a simple cross-fading slideshow

Posted by mathenson 
Trying to set up a simple cross-fading slideshow
December 19, 2008 12:15AM
Hi,
I just bought FLASHeff and am trying to build a slideshow. I was hoping that this would be easy to use but after watching all the videos and spending a few hours fighting it, it's got me pulling my hair out! I'm pretty new at Flash, so that's part of the problem...

Goal: Start with Image 1 showing, wait 3 seconds, crossfade to image 2. That's it for now.

Actionscript: None.

I have two images, both converted to mc's and in separate layers. One is in frame 1 and the other frame 2.
I've attached the FLASHeff component to both mc's.

Image 1 (instance name Image1) FlashEFF: ShowPattern none; HidePattern FESDesertIllusion, Swap turned on with swapTargetInstanceName set to "Image2", swap delay 0.5, swaptipe hideAndShow, autoplay delay = 3, targetIsVisible checked, _targetInstanceName set to Image1

Image 2 (Instance name Image2) Show Pattern FESBlur, autoPlay on, 3 sec delay, Hide: Off, Hide Autoplay off, target visible unchecked, _targetInstanceName is Image2

When I hit Ctrl-Enter:
1) First Image shows immedietly (good)
2) After 3 secs, image 1 and image 2 crossfade (good)
3) Right after Image 2 is displayed, I get a "FLASHEFF ERROR: The swapTarget property is null, a hide transition will be applied."

And then it starts to repeat except the timing and transitions are all wrong.
Re: Trying to set up a simple cross-fading slideshow
December 19, 2008 07:18AM
Tried out your scenario and it seemed to be working just fine. Didn't get that error message. Please make sure that the swap target (image2) really exists on the same frame as the FlashEff instance for image1. The error message means simply that the swap target was not found.
December 19, 2008 01:33PM
They were on different frames. Might be nice to add that an indication of that requirement to the error message. Some sort of product help system would also be really handy. I can see that this product is really useful but there are opportunities to improve the user experience - starting with a lot more instructive documentation (not just descriptive API docs).

Thanks,
mh
December 19, 2008 02:36PM
We do have documentation on the component and a lot of video tutorials, but if you could specify what exactly would it work better, we would really appreciate your input.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.