I Have A BUNCH Of Errors

Posted by velocegatto 
I Have A BUNCH Of Errors
December 01, 2008 08:01PM
Here is the output when I test the movie:

FLASHEFF ERROR: Target must be a non-null DisplayObject.
TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
at com.jumpeye.flashEff.text.magneticWind::FETMagneticWind/com.jumpeye.flashEff.text.magneticWind:FETMagneticWind::startTransition()
at com.jumpeye.flashEff.text.magneticWind::FETMagneticWind/show()
at FlashEff/transitionEffect()
at FlashEff/FlashEff::draw()
at com.jumpeye.core::JUIComponent/::callLaterDispatcher()
TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
at com.jumpeye.flashEff.text.fallAndGlow::FETFallAndGlow/com.jumpeye.flashEff.text.fallAndGlow:FETFallAndGlow::startTransition()
at com.jumpeye.flashEff.text.fallAndGlow::FETFallAndGlow/show()
at com.jumpeye.core::JUIComponent/::callLaterDispatcher()
at com.jumpeye.flashEff.text.glow::FETGlow/com.jumpeye.flashEff.text.glow:FETGlow::startTransition()
at com.jumpeye.flashEff.text.glow::FETGlow/show()
at FlashEff/FlashEff::callDraw()
at com.jumpeye.flashEff.text.magneticWind::FETMagneticWind/com.jumpeye.flashEff.text.magneticWind:FETMagneticWind::startTransition()
at com.jumpeye.flashEff.text.fallAndGlow::FETFallAndGlow/com.jumpeye.flashEff.text.fallAndGlow:FETFallAndGlow::startTransition()
at com.jumpeye.flashEff.text.fallAndGlow::FETFallAndGlow/show()
at com.jumpeye.flashEff.text.glow::FETGlow/com.jumpeye.flashEff.text.glow:FETGlow::startTransition()
at com.jumpeye.flashEff.text.glow::FETGlow/show()

I am a complete noob and I got my page through decompilation using Trillix Flash Decompiler. It seems that some of the actionscript is working...but most of it is not.

Also, an older version of FlashEff is being used. How can I get past these errors and make sure that the movie comes out with zero errors?

Thank you!
Re: I Have A BUNCH Of Errors
December 02, 2008 04:11AM
Found This Online:
===============================================================================================
[curtismorley.com]

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference

ActionScript 3 Error #1009 is an AS3 that you can get for many anecdotal reasons. This error basically means that you are trying to reference something that isn't there yet. That something can be a variable, data from the server, or even a movieClip or other display instance. So if you try and make a call to something and are getting this error simply look at what you are trying to reference and ask yourself is it there yet.
Don't bang your head against the wall any longer. Here I explain one of the most un-obvious ways to get this error.

One reason that you will get AS3 Error #1009 is because you are trying to access a movieClip that isn't instantiated yet. For example you try and reference a movieClip named loader_mc that is inside another movieClip. you are referencing it from a class that you created. Each time you run the test the movie you get the Run-Time Error #1009. You look inside your movieClip and see that the loader_mc is right where you want it. It is on frame 10 inside your animated moveiClip. That is when it dawns on you that the call to loader_mc happens when it is instantiated. Simply, put loader_mc on frame 1 and change it's alpha to 0 and then the movieClip will be instantiated when the call from your custom class is made.

Another reason for this error is simply incorrect targeting. If you target parent.bob and the correct reference is parent.parent.bob then you will get this error as well.

Fix 1 :

Make sure the the reference is instantiated before it is called. This means that the script is run after the object is loaded or the frame in the animation has been reached etc...

Fix 2 :

Check your targeting

Thanks and Happy Flashing
===========================

Ok, so in plain English how do I fix it? Lol.

Thanks!
December 02, 2008 06:47AM
The first error message is dispatched by the component itself (FLASHEFF ERROR: Target must be a non-null DisplayObject) and it means that you try to apply it on something that does not exist in the display list. The rest of the error messages are a direct result of the first one. So you need to make sure that the FlashEff component instance is applied directly on a Sprite, MovieClip or TextFieId object from the stage (just drag FlashEff from the Components panel over the target object) or, if you use the component by code, you need to make sure that both the FlashEff instance and the target object are added to the display list first and then set the target object.
December 02, 2008 03:42PM
I kind of understand what you are trying to say.

However, when I try to ad FlashEff to the stage, it won't snap to place in the top left corner of my text.

I wrote the text, made it dynamic, turned it into movie clip, anti-alias for animation, and embedded all for autofill. When I then go to drag the FlashEff component to the stage it wont snap to place.

I'm puzzled!

Also, I may have neglected to mention that this decompiled .fla file was ORIGINALLY working with FlashEff...just an older version.

I can view the actionscript files in my flp project, yet no compiled clips are placed in the library?

I have a feeling that the previous FlashEff .as files are somehow interfering with what I am trying to do now.

Thanks for your reply!

Jay

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2008 05:08PM by velocegatto.
December 03, 2008 06:52AM
Oh, if you are trying to recompile a fla containing the FlashEff, you should replace first the component, otherwise it will look for the classes it contains and that could be the reason for your problem. Anyway, if you don't manage to sort it out, just try to send over your source files (support [at] jumpeyecomponents [dot] com) and we'll have a look at them.
December 03, 2008 08:03PM
Sent my friend!

I appreciate any and all help!
December 07, 2008 06:47PM
negush Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, if you are trying to recompile a fla
> containing the FlashEff, you should replace first
> the component, otherwise it will look for the
> classes it contains and that could be the reason
> for your problem. Anyway, if you don't manage to
> sort it out, just try to send over your source
> files (support jumpeyecomponents com) and we'll
> have a look at them.
==========================================

How exactly do I replace the component?

It will not snap to any movie clip I choose on the stage?

Any ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2008 06:47PM by velocegatto.
December 08, 2008 06:56AM
You need to activate the "Snap to Object" option: View->Snapping->Snap to Objects.
December 18, 2008 12:39AM
I've had issues with decomplied files doing strange things.
try a new file and see if you have the same issues. It could be your file.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.