Adding text effect sets field's y position to 0

Posted by user542011 
Adding text effect sets field's y position to 0
January 16, 2011 11:22PM
I'm trying to align various textfields underneath one another after a Flash EFF effect completes.

However, applying a Flash EFF 2 text effect to a dynamic textfield seems to wipe out that field's y parameter.

For instance, before applying the effect, the textfield's y position is 35. After adding the component onto my textfield, that textfield's y parameter gets set to 0 (although the text position never changes on stage).

What's going on? How can I find the textfield's y position?
Re: Adding text effect sets field's y position to 0
January 17, 2011 07:27AM
In the FAQ section of the forum you can find a solution to this problem.
Q:The Target textfield's position changes while the animation is playing.
A: This malfunction appears when the target texfield is initially created as a Static textfield then converted to dynamic textfield . To ovoid this problem, the textfield needs to be set as a dynamic textfield before creating it on the stage.
Let me know if this solved your problem.
January 19, 2011 07:32PM
Thanks for responding to my post - but I already saw that in the FAQ and this seems not to be what's causing my disappearing Y property. My text box WAS initially created as dynamic, NOT static text. Yet Flash is still reporting the Y property as being 0 when a trace is run (the position of the textfield itself doesn't change on stage, but I can not target its true Y position through actionscript).

I also tested this on a brand new FLA, and made doubly sure the new text box was created as Dynamic - still the error occurs.
January 20, 2011 07:15AM
Alright, I understand now.
If you already applied a flasheff instance on the target, then from now on when you need the x or y property for the target, you need to get it from flasheff instance. So, instead of myText.y try to use flasheffInstance.y
eg trace(flasheffInstance.y)
Let me know how it works.
January 23, 2011 11:18AM
Yes - that works. Thank you.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.