Starting on Second Frame

Posted by rkligman 
Starting on Second Frame
April 28, 2010 02:48PM
I just picked up FlashEff 2 and as I should be, I'm real excited about it. I'm a multi decade programmer but very new to Flash. I only get in it when someone hands me something to tweak. I got this component rather than a 3rd party tool to help me stay in Flash and see if Flash is a viable tool in my arsenal. So expect some more "how do I do it posts" in this forum as I tread these waters.

My first questions have to do with the "start the FlashEff on the second frame" credo. I am having all kinds of problems when I try to do that. If I create some Text and drop a FE2 component on it, everything works fine. When I move the component and Text to Frame 2 nothing works. I was finally able to dig out that I should put a stop() on Frame 2 and that seems to make it work again.

1. Why is it critical that I add the stop()?

2. I'm fairly confused as to how to put the Text and Component on Frame 2. Not really understanding how to manipulate frames to well, my approach has been to drop the Text on a Layer, go to Frame 2, click Add Frame, then go to Frame 1 and move it to Frame 2. I can't seem to actually CREATE the text on Frame 2 for some reason. Are the steps I just gave the best/easiest way?

Rick Insane Diego...
Re: Starting on Second Frame
May 03, 2010 04:19PM
rkligman,

1. The flasheff2 component is a very complex component, which is based on a large amount of code and there could be times when Flash player does not manage to initialize the component on the very first frame. That's why we recommend to put the flasheff2 component only starting with the second frame. Making that you will prevent any malfunction .

2. It is not necessarily to create the textfield from the second frame. It can be created on the first frame. You should only put the flasheff2 component on the second frame. Please note that is also very important to place a stop(); command on the second frame in order to prevent the Flash from looping.

[www.screencast.com]
May 04, 2010 03:43PM
Thank you. Let me give that a try and then I'll come back if I'm having any problems.
May 05, 2010 10:35AM
Sure! No problem!
May 05, 2010 03:32PM
Rick, as a programmer you are probably used to setting up objects, classes, functions, variables, etc. ahead of actually writing routines. Flash is easier when you do the same thing as well. You can do all of the above elements for actionscript code in the first frame on an "actions" layer.

But you can ALSO organize your timeline the same way. A couple things we like to do to start and progress through a project:

1. Put a couple of standard layers in all projects to begin with, "Labels" and "Actions". Put those at the top of the timeline, and put all of your content layers below those. Do the same in any movie clips that will have interactivity/actions as well. Obviously use the "labels" layer to indicated frame labels (click in a frame, and then open the "properties" window - there is an input field for frame labels there). And use the "actions" layer for all internal actionscript. Many people use external actionscript files, so your mileage may vary.

2. To place content, actions, or labels on a specific frame. FIRST, insert a keyframe on the frame that you want to place the item onto. THEN click on that keyframe, and then place your content on the stage, or do other frame related coding. Where the frames/timeline will END is a whole other story. I sometimes also put a keyframe (or a regular frame) at the END of where I intend a sequence to end, just to better define the sequence on the timeline. You will find that as you move keyframes around, Flash will often add "fill-in" frames that you don't necessarily want - but you'll just have to play around and see what I mean, and figure out your favorite method to edit those.
May 05, 2010 05:40PM
Excellent response Kitty. Thanks. I'll digest this ASAP.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.