nesting effects

Posted by jmorante 
nesting effects
September 10, 2008 09:22PM
I am trying to add a text effect to some dynamic text, and turn that into a movieclip while still maintaining the text effect. Is this possible? I have not been able to get it to work.
Re: nesting effects
September 11, 2008 05:32AM
You can only apply text effects on text fields and not on movie clips. But you can apply symbol effects on text fields. If you would like to turn the text field into a movie clip, you can do it, but you need to apply the effect directly on the text field, so you have to place the FlashEff instance inside that movie clip too.
September 11, 2008 04:57PM
negush Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can only apply text effects on text fields and
> not on movie clips. But you can apply symbol
> effects on text fields. If you would like to turn
> the text field into a movie clip, you can do it,
> but you need to apply the effect directly on the
> text field, so you have to place the FlashEff
> instance inside that movie clip too.

The last thing you said is what I am referring too. I have tried to do it that way and it doesn't work. Is there anything special that needs to be done? when I do that it tells me that it basically won't work.
September 12, 2008 07:09AM
If you would like to apply a second effect on the movie clip containing the effect on the text field, then you need to be careful with the symbol patterns you use. If you apply symbol patterns that use BitmapData than the effect will not work because it makes a snapshot of the target clip (just before the text effect is applied, when there is nothing displayed) and applies the symbol effect (which is applied on a blank bitmap so nothing is displayed). If that symbol pattern has a refresh property then you need to set it to true, so the effect refreshes its contents.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.