How do I get the active button to stay highlighted?

Posted by mathenson 
How do I get the active button to stay highlighted?
December 19, 2008 11:05PM
Hi,
I'm making an SWF that tells the user about the features of a product. Each feature is in a button. When the user presses the button, a feature-specific mc is displayed and the previous one is hidden. I'm using the button's "switch objects" to accomplish this. I've got it changing the feature mc's pretty well, but I need it to highlight the button for the feature that's being displayed.

For example, my features are "Runs Fast", "Looks Good" and "Makes Money" (well, not my features but you get the idea). Each phrase is in a button. Initially, I want the "Runs Fast" button to be highlighted while the rest of the frame shows something running fast. Then when the "Looks Good" button is pressed, it becomes highlighted and the "Runs Fast" button goes back to its normal, non-highlighted state (and an mc for the Looks Good feature is displayed).

A brute force approach would be to create two mc's for each button (active and non-active) and show the active one when the button is clicked. But, I'd rather use a single MC and activate a filter or something to highlight when active. I can see how this could work if I could apply a second FlashEff component to a button MC (to apply a highlighting filter.. then use Switch Objects to move the highlighting FlashEff component around) but this doesn't seem to work. In Javascript I'd apply a highlight class when a button is pressed, but I don't know AS very well. What's the recommended solution?
Thanks,
mh
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.