Can anyone explain these parameters?

Posted by user752106 
Can anyone explain these parameters?
May 17, 2011 01:16PM
Where in the following code (copied from the Online Panel) can I change the direction of a preset (from the default "char: R2L - B2T to L2R - T2B, saying Left to Right - Top to Bottom)?

import com.jumpeye.flashEff2.text.glow.FETGlow;

var fe:FlashEff2Flex = new FlashEff2Flex();
this.addChild(fe);
fe.target =myInstance

var pattern0:FETGlow = new FETGlow();
pattern0.preset=1; // This seem to have NO effect when changed - simply ignored!
pattern0.color=0xFFFFFF;
pattern0.maxGlow=5;
pattern0.maxBlurX=3;
pattern0.maxBlurY=3;
pattern0.alphaPercentage=10;
pattern0.groupDuration=1;
pattern0.partialGroup='letters';
pattern0.partialPercent=100;
pattern0.partialBlurAmount=0;
pattern0.partialStart=50;
pattern0.tweenDuration=1.5;
pattern0.tweenType='Strong';
pattern0.easeType='easeOut';

fe.showTransition=pattern0
Re: Can anyone explain these parameters?
May 17, 2011 01:22PM
Delete the items from the library, and start over. Seems to solve a lot of problems.
May 17, 2011 03:11PM
Hi there,

I am glad to hear you managed to solve that problem. Unfortunately we do not have a document with details for each effect's parameters but you can get an idea about what exactly each parameter does if you roll over them while you check them inside the FlashEff2 panel.

[screencast.com]

Regarding the "preset" parameter, when you set it by code it's value is expressed in numbers. That number corresponds with the index of each preset as they appears listed inside the flasheff2 panel.
May 18, 2011 09:49PM
florodebat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That number corresponds with the index of each preset
> as they appears listed inside the flasheff2 panel.

That is not correct. There is a forum thread here which explains the 'preset' property. As for FETGlow, valid values for the 'preset' property range from 1 to 49, with a lot of gaps in between these two numbers.
May 20, 2011 02:48PM
TerryG,

The "preset" here in discussions is actually the "preset" parameter which decides the direction of the animation (left, right, up, down, diagonal left down...) and not the presets resulted by tweaking the parameters of the main pattern. What I have stated above is totally correct and can be easily checked. I have just made that again and it worked fine for me.

[screencast.com]

As for FETGlow, valid values for the 'preset' property range from 1 to 49, with a lot of gaps in between these two numbers.

The presets may look different depending on how many lines the textfield is deployed. Also other parameters like "groupDuration" or "partialGroup" will influence the appearance.
May 20, 2011 04:02PM
florodebat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TerryG,
>
> The "preset" here in discussions is actually the
> "preset" parameter which decides the direction of
> the animation (left, right, up, down, diagonal
> left down...) and not the presets resulted by
> tweaking the parameters of the main pattern.

florodebat,

Yes you're right. I misunderstood, sorry.

Still, I think it's confusing to have two completely different things in the FlashEff panel named "preset". In some situations, changing the "preset" parameter is the equivalent of tweaking the parameters of the main pattern.

For example, the FESAlpha pattern has two pattern presets named "AlphaClose" and "AlphaHorizOpen". The only difference between these two pattern presets are their "preset" parameters: the first has a "preset" value of 9 and the second has a "preset" value of 12.

It would be less confusing if the "preset" parameter were named something else, such as "animationStyle" or "motionPattern". It would be even less confusing if those magic numbers were replaced with static constants (e.g., AnimationStyle.LEFT_TO_RIGHT, AnimationStyle.RANDOM...).

:-)

Terry
May 23, 2011 01:05PM
TerryG,

Your feedback is as always much appreciated and I assure you that we will consider your suggestions with the future updates. Thank you.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.