FlashEff2 doesn't work with TLF text field in Flash CS5
June 03, 2010 07:55AM
The FlashEff2 component does not work with the new TLF text in Adobe Flash CS5. Whenever applying a text effect on a TLF text, there's an error message displayed:
FLASHEFF2 ERROR: You have placed a text pattern over a symbol. Please use a symbol pattern instead!

The solution is to apply the FlashEff2 component on a traditional dynamic text field: select the text field, change the text field from "TLF Text" to "Classic Text" and then set the classic text field to "Dynamic Text". This should solve the text field issue.

The problem should be solved with a new version of the FlashEff component.
Re: FlashEff2 doesn't work with TLF text field in Flash CS5
August 13, 2010 01:46PM
But how do you make the same tekst + effect a link with a hand as hover ?
Because its classic txt the hand will only appear if you aim very tight on the txt...
August 30, 2010 02:08PM
Try to put the text and the flasheff in a movieclip in a movieclip and also create a transparent shape with the needed dimensions in that movieClip.
Then on the movieClip where you have those above set the buttonMode and useHandCursor property to true(also the mouseChildren property is needed to be false) and see if it works.
September 03, 2010 11:03AM
Hi,

Will the new version be an upgrade we have to purchase, or will the fix be a free upgrade? Is there a release date for this yet?

CS5 automatically imports editable text as TLF now and as some of the text effects will not work if there are any TLF text objects in the project, it is becoming a pain to go through and make sure every single text item is classic text.

For some projects I may be passed a PSD with multiple pages and it is a grind to go through and check every text item in every page.

It will be good if you get this sorted as you say that FlashEff2 is CS5 compatible, when arguably it is not really fully compatible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2010 01:36PM by Jedra.
September 04, 2010 04:16AM
This is really unexpected and frustrating. Please fix this bug ASAP.
September 06, 2010 10:55AM
Hello,

First you need to know that flasheff is compatible with CS5 and the fact that flasheff doesn't work on TLF text does not prove the contrary.
The matter is simple, the flasheff2 component wasn't designed to work with TLF text because when we developed this version CS5 and TLF text weren't on the market.
As my colleague said above probably on the next version of the flasheff (Flasheff3) this feature will be included.

"Will the new version be an upgrade we have to purchase, or will the fix be a free upgrade? Is there a release date for this yet?"
Yes the next version is an upgrade for which you will have to pay a fee depending on the version you already have. About the date we can't say for certain at this moment but we hope that somewhere in 2011 we will release the new version.

"This is really unexpected and frustrating. Please fix this bug ASAP."
I'm sorry but this is not a bug and I don't understand how this is unexpected and frustrating, I'm pretty sure that we never mention in our tutorials or documentation that the flasheff2 works on TLF text. So, as a conclusion you don't have any reason to say that.

Thanks for understanding.
September 10, 2010 03:32AM
"I'm sorry but this is not a bug and I don't understand how this is unexpected and frustrating, I'm pretty sure that we never mention in our tutorials or documentation that the flasheff2 works on TLF text. So, as a conclusion you don't have any reason to say that."

Good job with your marketing! Just don't think your customers are idiots. And yes I have a very good reason to say what I said. I expect it to work with a default feature of flash CS5. Now if you want to charge people for an upgrade, that's a different story.

The fact that you haven't mentioned it in your documentation doesn't let you off the hook. You claim it works on CS5, and it doesn't work on an important time saving, easier to use, deafault feature of it.

Thanks for listening to your customer
September 10, 2010 02:04PM
user431021,

" Just don't think your customers are idiots"

Well, we never said that and this kind of thoughts are very far of us. Again, that is not a bug and FlasheEff2 component works as advertised. The fact it not supports TLF text does not means it is not Flash CS5 compatible. FlashEff2 component was launched with almost 1 year before Flash CS5 which supports TLF textfields and as my colleague said we will make everything possible to integrate it with the future versions of the component. The component needs to be redesigned almost from scratch in order to support that feature.

Just think about this, in Flash CS4 you can find 2 types of textfields : dyanmic textfield and static textfield. FlashEFf2, as we already an always said ( in documentations, video tutorials....) can be applied only on dynamic textfields. Should we also say that is not compatible with Flash CS4 because it can not be applied on static textfields? NO, we could eventually say which are its limitations and what exactly supports or not.

As an addition all our documentations files specifies very clear that FLasHEFf2 component works only with dynamic textFields. Also the component comes with a free trail version that can be downloaded and tested by anyone before deciding to buy it or not. The fact FalshEff2 can be used only with dynamic textfields is very obvious and I think the false advertising accusations you brought us are unfounded.
September 10, 2010 05:19PM
I didn't mean to start a war with my previous comment, but your official reply is slightly odd.

I would accept your point if your effects could not be applied to TLF text fields, but when the effects do not work if any TLF text fields are present in the project regardless of whether they have effects applied or not, I would describe this as a bug. I would have a very hard time convincing my own clients that it was not a bug at anyway!

If someone had started a Flash CS5 project and then installed FlashEff2 half way through then they would have a problem (if they had text fields). In this respect I cannot see how you can say that FlashEff2 is fully CS5 compatible.

It would be a nice compromise if you could release a patch that allowed TLF fields to co-exist with FlashEff2 classic text field effects, while not necessarily allowing FlashEff2 effects to be applied to TLF fields. I would be happy with this as I want to use TLF fields in my projects, and I am happy for the moment to apply any effects I need to them manually. I am also very happy with FlashEff2 and would like to use it in conjuction with classic text fields while still being able to use TLF elsewhere.

As it stands, I am opting not to use FlashEff2 in my projects as there is no compromise.
September 13, 2010 11:43AM
@Jedra

We tested TLF text together with flasheff applied on a dynamic text on several computers and we didn't encounter any problems so far.
I have to admit that maybe there are some scenarios in which the two don't work together, so, we would appreciate, if you will send us the example in which you weren't able to make them work properly and we will assure you that we will try to fix the problem if somehow is with our component or related to it.Thank you.
September 13, 2010 12:03PM
Hi,

Ok, here's a simple example...

1. Start a new Actionscript 3 project.
2. Add some text to the stage - make sure it is Classic Text.
3. Convert the text to a MovieClip.
4. Apply a FlashEff2Button effect to the movie clip.
5. Test - the effect will work fine.
6. Add another text field to the stage (anywhere will do), this time make it TLF text.
7. Re test the movie clip - the button effect no longer plays.
8. Go back to the stage and make the second text field Classic Text.
9. Re Test and the button effect will work again.

No matter what I do, if there is TLF text ANYWHERE else in the project the Button Effect stops working.

I can send a simple FLA to demonstrate if necessary if you let me know where to send it.

I know this is not my set-up as this is a clean build machine (only last week in fact) and the same thing happens across 3 different installs.

Anyway, your help is much appreciated as it would be great to get effects working alongside TLF text.

Regards
Jedra
September 15, 2010 04:00PM
Hi,

Just wondered if you confirmed the behaviour I was seeing with my example above - the anticipation is killing me!

Regards
Jedra
September 16, 2010 07:18AM
Jedra,

Unfortunately, we have to confirm the behavior you mentioned. It seems that for some strange reason adding the TLF text on stage, alters the flasheff button mouse events. We didn't expect to this behavior and we surely will try to fix this problem on our next version.

Anyway, here is something that I believe it will be helpful, and is some sort of solution. If you will add the movieclip on which you applied flasheff button alongside flasheff in the frame 2 the issue the states of the button will work again properly and the issue will be solved.
We are sorry for this inconvenience but we couldn't anticipate this discrepancy between tlf text and flasheff component, when we developed the component.
September 16, 2010 08:40AM
Hi, that's fine - it confirms to me that I was not doing something wrong. I will follow your advice regarding frame 2 which should help me out in the meantime so thanks for that.

Something which may help others is that while I am working in CS5 with FlashEff2 and I know I don't want to use TLF text anywhere, I set the default flash player in publish settings to Flash 9, then CS5 does not created text fields as TLF by default. Doing this I am at least assured that a TLF field doesn't creep in somewhere. If you already have TLF fields in a project and then set it to publish as Flash 9, it converts the TLF fields to Classic text - be aware though that this changes the formatting of some of the TLF fields.

Anyway, if adding buttons in frame 2 resolves the issue then my own work-around may not be necessary!

Thanks again for looking into the problem. As a developer myself, I know it is better to know about a bug then at least something can be done about it!

Regards
Jedra
December 23, 2013 08:56AM
Jedra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> Ok, here's a simple example...
>
> 1. Start a new Actionscript 3 project.
> 2. Add some text to the stage - make sure it is
> Classic Text.
> 3. Convert the text to a MovieClip.
> 4. Apply a FlashEff2Button effect to the movie
> clip.
> 5. Test - the effect will work fine.
> 6. Add another text field to the stage (anywhere
> will do), this time make it TLF text.
> 7. Re test the movie clip - the button effect no
> longer plays.
> 8. Go back to the stage and make the second text
> field Classic Text.
> 9. Re Test and the button effect will work again.
>
> No matter what I do, if there is TLF text ANYWHERE
> else in the project the Button Effect stops
> working.
>
> I can send a simple FLA to demonstrate if
> necessary if you let me know where to send it.
>
> I know this is not my set-up as this is a clean
> build machine (only last week in fact) and the
> same thing happens across 3 different installs.
>
> Anyway, your help is much appreciated as it would
> be great to get effects working alongside TLF
> text.
>
> Regards
> Jedra

I can see that you are an expert in this field, thanks

I usually relax on [www.frivmini.com] after hours of hard work
September 19, 2015 10:01PM
Dear Sirs from FlashEff2 please don't stop making this great filters and effects. Flash sucks without them. I am a "new" user on Adobe CC and I can tell you that I am missing your great effects components. It save me a lot of programing time, and I am able to pay almost anything to have them available in Flash CC. Please don't leave us in the darkness...
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.