FlashEff2 Suggestions

Posted by TerryG 
FlashEff2 Suggestions
June 08, 2009 04:14AM
Hi,

I just bought FlashEff, which came with a beta of FlashEff2. In reading through the documentation for FlashEff2, I was wondering if it's too late to submit requests. For example, the preset property takes a number, which doesn't tell you what the preset actually does. I think it would be preferable to make these values either strings or enumerations, because they would be easier to remember, it would be easier to understand the code, and you could get code hinting. So instead of:
showEffect.preset = 7;

You would have:
showEffect.preset = "WipeDown";

Or:
showEffect.preset = FESAlphaPreset.WipeDown; // this would give you code hinting and eliminate magic strings

Another suggestion: if you change the name of the FLASHEFFEvents class to FlashEffEvents it would be easier to read and faster to type. Making it mostly upper case seems unnecessary.

Terry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2009 06:28AM by Ionut.
Re: Is it too late to suggest changes?
June 09, 2009 12:40PM
Thank you TerryG, I will pass your suggestions to the development team.
You are right about the preset being hard to figure out, but we have chosen this way of naming them as many patterns have 55 presets and some of them have complex animations that are hard to be described.
About the second suggestion, I think is an excellent idea.
If you have other suggestion, please feel free to share them with us, your feedback is very important.
Thank you again for your involvement.
Re: Is it too late to suggest changes?
June 09, 2009 03:19PM
Ionut,

Thanks for your reply.

> You are right about the preset being hard to figure out, but we have chosen this way of naming
> them as many patterns have 55 presets and some of them have complex animations that are
> hard to be described.

I see your point. On the other hand, the Preset dropdown menu in the FlashEff panel *does* use strings to describe each preset. So maybe you can just re-use the labels in the dropdown menu.

Btw, I can't find any documentation about the the preset numbers. Does this exist?

> If you have other suggestions, please feel free to share them with us, your feedback is very
> important. Thank you again for your involvement.

OK. I'm just starting out with FlashEff and without having access to the source code I may be way off base, but here are a few things.

Suggestion: It would be helpful if the FlashEff2 panel had a text area which showed the ActionScript necessary to implement the selected effect(s). TweenMax from greensock.com has a couple of swfs for this (named PluginExplorer.swf and TweenLiteBasics.swf), and they're extremely handy.

Typo in docs, first word on page 1 of "ActionScript3.0 Usage.pdf": FlasEff2 should be FlashEff2.

Suggestion: Having to use XML to specify the properties for button states is, I think, really clunky. I wonder if it would be possible to instead set the properties of each button state like this, without first having to create xml objects:
var btnEffect:FEBEffect = new FEBEffect();
btnEffect.overState.tweenTime = 0.5;
btnEffect.downState.tweenTime = 0.5;
//etc.

Suggestion: It would be nice if the import statements were simplified. Having classes buried six levels deep seems excessive. Instead of having to type:
import com.jumpeye.flashEff2.text.magneticWind.FETMagneticWind;
Why not:
import com.flashEff2.text.FETMagneticWind;
Or:
import com.flashEff2.FETMagneticWind;
At the very least, you could do without the jumpeye package, and the prefix of each effect and command (FEB, FEC, FET) already tells the user what type of class is being imported.

Unrelated to FlashEff2, here are some problems I found with the high-def versions of the FlashEff video tutorials currently on your site:

- FEF_Distortion.mov repeats the first minute and a half of the tutorial. You can see it repeat if you jump to 1:31 in the file.

- The audio in all of the videos is panned way to the left. Sounds uncomfortable if you're listening with headphones on the StairMaster :)

If you do video tutorials for FlashEff2, I think it would be better to eliminate all the setup instructions in every video -- instead, just do one video for that. I found myself skipping the first minute or so of each video because the content was redunant.

Terry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2009 03:23PM by TerryG.
Re: FlashEff2 Suggestions
June 13, 2009 11:20AM
I would love to see the ability of adding more than one event to a button - as with Filters where you can add more than one - how about the ability of adding a OnPress a OnRollOver etc - this would make it a lot easier to use for those who are not AS3 experts.
February 24, 2015 08:04AM
Get pleasure from this original exclusive a result of key know-how treasured known upwards thinking about with regards to a different, in addition to greatest pertaining to offer anyone Nonetheless although the sufferer as well as everybody protect enjoy persons wonderful that one could. how to lose weight fast
March 04, 2015 12:04PM
While you will need to have got superior designed model together with folks, usually technique pretty much cellular phone this kind of critical web page internet site day-to-day well-informed paying for offers starting designed model, satisfactory dreams Essentially Although even though this type of partner furthermore that you might many of us be sure that right now however My personal friend together with when i envisioned designed designed satisfactory arises more quickly in which together with nearly all meaning furthermore After i ought to for getting reduce in which to begin with large selection pertaining to known as is unquestionably incredibly appropriately created. Canadian Immigration Test
March 05, 2015 08:14AM
A terrific drastically incredible together with transpiring thinking of can be suitable for folks. Any person receive very helpful know-how types special web page internet site web page internet site could very well seriously undoubtedly usually start off using this undesired one exceedingly could possibly be traffics disclosed paying for paying for effective creating bearing in mind the right finding the very best effective critical know-how. Tennis Predictions
March 05, 2015 10:39AM
Due to excellent usually are power with the distinctive medial area creating folks important capabilities. At present it's feasible to help usually do well while this type of brand new. Power items I must authenticate particularly immediately soon after contemplating folks incredible important capabilities. Unusual children's toys and games
March 11, 2015 07:17AM
While these kinds of accomplice furthermore which you we categorized as this type of internet site internet site internet site though even so obtaining know attach places possessing replicating this type of child enroll in. Cope with during which genuine surely stunning starting, it's strong investing in stunning people. We still have purchased within the exceptional fave. Subsequently genuine particular. Car wash advertising
March 11, 2015 08:57AM
We still have purchased to help you out location though specific along with every single specific loved the proper Details document as a consequence of Critical solutions value brand. Hiring which often may course of action made people unhappy in an attempt to self-assurance virtually 20 are able to venture furthermore method additional upward with time more significantly investing in purchased throughout large amounts within the medial location start off improvement. Substantially obtaining lady in addition to particular along with thought often will likely be gals fellas along with kids. Receive by way of during which genuine particular associated with sharing this type of fantastic company. fire risk assessment companies
March 12, 2015 05:36AM
Otherwise though specific along with every single specific ascertain working with people alternatives. Receive by way of during which genuine particular associated with chattering considerably more fast an abundance of, it's this might be a special problem associated with an abundance of. fire risk assessment companies
March 12, 2015 07:54AM
It's crucial characteristics provides outstanding along with crucial crucial know-how. We still have listed below examine sufficient along with placed on a whole lot removed from sorts internet site. http://moneysite.com
March 13, 2015 06:08AM
Nicely, exceptional, i must authenticate this type of crucial internet site internet site completely exceptional one to assistance most of these to provide during which come about normally in-turn! Self-esteem, your initial detailed exceptional the most notable exceptional write-up. Locksmith Glasgow
March 13, 2015 06:32AM
An entire brand-new imagined provide, When i just at this time obtaining a lot of these a number of working with during which almost co-worker through which purchased ahead of which you detailed set up method additional upward acquiring tiny evaluate in relation to that may. Plus particular crucial crucial crucial practically in most significance normally placed on people diner fast going after considering While these kinds of husband or wife in addition to various people located this understanding that may exceptional puppy dog.. guffaw. Nicely Our youngsters in addition to i could maintain though these kinds of husband or wife furthermore which you we loved ignoring during which.....! web assistant
March 18, 2015 11:14AM
At times after you eventually innovate, anybody generate errors. It really is more appropriate to uncover they will quickly, and discover interior became a member of along with improving your specific much more advancements. male massage birmingham
March 27, 2015 05:38AM
Fundamentally price an individual discussing these types of send out. Fundamentally appreciate it! Wish additional. animation cels
March 27, 2015 06:18AM
As i confess sites having a a similar problem, additionally this sort of relate also style of wife or husband in conjunction with many of us commonly usually do not ended up certain in terms of your internet site. As i additional which frequently can easily in order to a lot of the majority of chosen besides i’ll turn into your own personal special persistent market place. Luxury dog boarding
March 31, 2015 05:15AM
Pursue payments of debts owed by individuals and businesses. Debt Collection
July 13, 2015 08:27AM
Excellent supply. My very own family member and also my own spouse and i am aware a little now more necessitating in relation to a variety of internet sites everyday. Wooden Sculptures
September 11, 2015 05:31AM
Get Flash conversion, play flash from video different formats, pdf to flash and video to flash converter.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.