File Size

Posted by AdamlCasey 
File Size
September 05, 2008 03:12PM
I've just been playing around with some effects as I'm attempting to create a banner advertisement and I'm a little bit worried about the file size. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong. My animation takes all of about 15 seconds and is 330kb
(see attachment)

The main graphic is the background gradient which is 51.4kb
I have 6 symbols all which have a different show and hide animation.
Should my file be this big?
Attachments:
open | download - HomeBanner.swf (330.8 KB)
Re: File Size
September 08, 2008 05:30AM
Please make sure you removed from the library all the unnecessary items (graphics, movie clips and FlashEff patterns you don't use). It is possible to get to that file size because of FlashEff and FlashEff patterns. Unfortunately we can't tell you more until you send us your source file. Please use the support email: support [at] jumpeyecomponents [dot] com.
September 09, 2008 01:22PM
In the file you sent us on the support mail the images, the FlashEff component and the FlashEff patterns are less than 90k. The one thing that increases your file size is the text. You have 8 text fields there and all of them embed the font. Embedding fonts into the flash clip increases its file size, however you need font embedding, otherwise FlashEff animations would not run on text. So after I removed all the code and all the content of the Library, only the text fields remained on the stage and the size of the compiled .swf file was a little over 505k.

You could also try to use compression software to compress a little more your .swf files or you could try breaking up your banner into smaller banners.
September 09, 2008 01:31PM
Would your other product 'TxEff' reduce the size of this swf file?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2008 01:32PM by AdamlCasey.
September 10, 2008 06:44AM
As mentioned previously, the component does not generate that file size, the embedded text does. TxEff works on the same principles as FlashEff and it too needs embedded text for it to work. So changing the component to TxEff would not change drastically the file size. Instead, you could try create several smaller sized banner containing only one text field, banners that would be then sequentially loaded into a main banner.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.