FLASHEFF ERROR: Target must be a non-null DisplayObject.

Posted by Flashinpan 
FLASHEFF ERROR: Target must be a non-null DisplayObject.
April 02, 2009 11:05PM
Okay, I've read the postings on this error, according the the advice it should work, but I'm still getting it.

All I have is a movie clip on my stage (which is a spinning globe). I drag the component onto the globe, it appears to snap to the upper left corner of the clip. I set parameters for hide (I don't want it to appear, its already in the scene) and when I test, I get the same dang message all over again. I just want the globe to FES explodePixel-away. But at this point, I'd settle for getting any "hide" transition to work on this movie clip.

=================,+'^'+,=======================
Al Luckow : New Media Architect : www.luckow.com
=========`+,.,+'===============================
Re: FLASHEFF ERROR: Target must be a non-null DisplayObject.
April 03, 2009 02:55AM
Is there anyone that can help me with this? It just doesn't make sense. It seems that the component works on the movie clip when it is just one item with one frame in the timeline, but when the movie clip is part of a presentation (that has multiple frames), it gives me the error. For example, I have a spinning globe slide in, then I want it to pixel explode. HTe globe is a movie clip symbol. It stops in a keyframe after the tween. I've tried adding more frames after the globe stops in its keyframe and I still get the same message. What exactly is a "non-null DisplayObject" and how do I get this to work within a presentation?

Anyone?
April 06, 2009 11:43AM
Make sure the FlashEff and the target are in the same frame and if possible have the animation stop while the FlashEff transition happens, if not make sure you have enough frames after the animation starts so it's not cut off before it ends.
April 06, 2009 05:42PM
Its still kind of kludgy. I understand about having enough frames and all that. I KNOW other people are going to see this message as well and just as frustrated as I was. So here's what I did to get it to work:

I just made the EFF animations inside a movie clip. So in essence apply the EFF components to symbols INSIDE another movie clip. Then import THAT movie clip. That seemed to be the most robust solution. You still need to allow enough frames for the animations to complete within the main timeline. Just have the movie clip sit there through a couple of dozen frames or so (test a few times to find the right amount). But this way, you can apply the components to a symbol in a single frame, like the tutorials do, and complete your frame-based presentation the way you like. If you are a coder, who does entire presentations in one frame, well good for you. This method above is for everybody else.

About these plug-ins: These are great tools for Flash users who don't have time to code. Even though the "log-in" part is awkward, I understand why you have to do it. I look forward to seeing more of these!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2009 05:46PM by Flashinpan.
May 06, 2009 09:31AM
Can you please post a fla source example?
Got the same prob and I don't know what else to do!
May 06, 2009 02:01PM
Just:

1) Create a new symbol
2) Bring in your object or type in your dynamic text in the new symbol
3) Drag the component onto the object(or text) and choose your transition, etc.
4) Close the symbol
5) Go back to your stage and drag the new symbol in via your library panel.

You still need to allow for enough frames for the animation to complete, but at least it works.

April 30, 2011 01:23AM
You need to name the movieclip instance before dropping the component on and it will work.
September 09, 2012 09:58PM
named my movie clip beafor attaching to it the flashff component and embeded all text and it stil generates :
Fonts should be embedded for any text that may be edited at runtime, other than text with the "Use Device Fonts" setting. Use the Text > Font Embedding command to embed fonts.
FLASHEFF2 ERROR: Target must be a non-null DisplayObject.

what to do ?!
Attachments:
open | download - kink.swf (1.13 MB)
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.