Banner Ads & File Size

Posted by rqrm4i 
Banner Ads & File Size
October 28, 2008 09:19PM
I run ad campaigns through banner ad distributors, and their maximum file size requirements are from 30k to 50k. The most popular banner ad sizes are 728x90 and 160x600, so staying within the 50k limit is very difficult considering the design demands of my clients. I clean my Library. What fla compression software do you recommend to reach the 30k limit? Could you post a list of file size minimization recommendations? Thanks.
Re: Banner Ads & File Size
October 30, 2008 07:46AM
We don't have a certain compression software to recommend you, but we certainly can give you some advices on how to keep your file to a minimum size.

First of all, since it's a banner, we recommend using a minimal number of slides/animations. Also, you need to pay attention to how many images you are using - a maximum of two would be quite ok or maybe one single image as the background of the banner.

The FlashEff component adds a little over 22kB to the size of the banner and that's just the component. You also need to use patterns to drive your animations, which also add somewhere between 4 kB up to 20 kB (the 3D text animations). So you would have to try to use the patterns (animations) which have a smaller size (though you could create complex and eye catching animations based only on the Alpha transparency patterns). Also, there is the text, which has to be embedded in order to work with FlashEff and it too ads a few kB to the banner. So you have to keep in mind these elements when using FlashEff for your banners.

Finally, you have to eliminate all the assets you do not use in your banner, like extra patterns you might have tested, other components, text fields and images you don't use. It is possible to create banners that would have up to 50 kB in size but it is hard to keep the file size to under 30 kB. In case of very simple (and small) animations using FlashEff (maybe using a single pattern), it is possible to have 30 kB or just a little over 30 kB banners.
October 30, 2008 09:24AM
Thanks for the tips.
November 17, 2008 08:49AM
It also helps to embed just the necessary letters of a font.
Unless you use a lot of text, then it's better to once embed everything.
The smallest 160x600 banner I was able to produce was 57K ...
February 26, 2009 09:59PM
does anyone know the file sizes of the different effects? everybody is working under the damokles sword of maximum file size, so a list might come in handy!
March 03, 2009 06:19PM
A far as hitting the size requirements for a flash banner I have had my share of troubles with that as well. There is a solid 3rd party program that will run different compression algorithms to clean up assets on your stage and in the library the biggest benifit is with image compression and shape optimization.

Flash Optimizer - [mac.eltima.com]

I use it on a Mac at work and actually tested an older version on my home PC and they both work very good. The only thing that i dislike is the inability to save a preset. Hope this helps.
February 01, 2010 05:55PM
This really stinks!

I've been reluctantly creating animated GIFs for a client while preaching the benefits of using Flash instead. I finally get an opportunity to show off FlashEff and now find it next to near impossible to slim it down to under 57K to meet the publishers required minimum of 50K.
February 18, 2011 02:01PM
Hello Guys,

I am here to inform you that this section of the forum is not in our attention anymore. Please visit the FlashEff2 forum and you will get the answers you need. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheers!
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.