Swap problem

Posted by ryanstokes83 
Swap problem
May 17, 2009 07:05PM
I have set up 2 images so that they swap in a slidewho manner and followed what i believe to be the right method:

I one image on frame 1

and 1 image on frame 2

Each has an instance of EFF attached to it and the instance nemes etc have all been set up and and entered into the instance of EFF. The swap occurs but when testing the movie the lower image image on the bottom layer shows up for a second and then dissapears ( this is image 2 of the swap - if you get what i mean) - the image on layer 2 then appears and the transition occurs to the image on layer 1. why does the image on layer 1 flash up first?

Really wish there was some more detailed documentation on this.
Re: Swap problem
May 18, 2009 07:03AM
How did you make the swap transition? Did you use an event listener?
I would have to see the fla file before I can give you an advice, so please attach the files and let me take a look at them.
May 18, 2009 09:13AM
No i didnt use an event handler - I dont really want to use any action script - which is why i purchased the product - I just Installed everything on to a faster computer and have tried out using one of the tutorials as a start (the no code tutorial) its kind of working but the nice patterns are way to much for my 2.16 dual Imac with 2G ram and it continuously crashes - crashes 4 times an hour at least. I have a question for you - what kind of system do you realistically need to run this and are there any guidelines as to the size of images EFF can work on without slowing down to a stagger? I am trying to make an animated movie (have been trying for 4 days) - I am using images that are very large - 1900 * 1200 - is this feesable or should i just give up now?

Do i need to use the event handlers so that things run smoothly?
May 18, 2009 10:40AM
There is your problem, the size of your images.
There is no minimum or recommended system for FlashEff, if Adobe Flash works on your system, so will FlashEff. As for the crashes, there are several complains about FlashEff crashing with CS4, but that is not FlashEff's fault, Flash CS4 has many bugs and they are currently removing them as fast as they can. The latest Flash update has ironed out some of the issues that caused FlashEff to crash so often, but there are more bugs that they need to fix. On the other hand, Flash CS3 works like a charm with FlashEff, we have never herd of crashes caused by FlashEff on CS3.
Creating animations with FlashEff on images large - 1900 x 1200 - is possible, but you will need a state-of-the art computer and the result file will run only on state-of-the art computers.
My advice to you is to resize the photos, make them as small as you can, don't use huge blur values and give it more frames to animate( increase the tween duration and the groupDuration).
May 18, 2009 02:08PM
Thanks for the advice but i just downloaded the update and it has made things even worse. Thats great that it works on CS3 - I guess users such as I and many others using CS4 ( who purchased the product believing that it works on CS4 ) will just have to put up with a fualty product untill Adobe has sorted it out and in the mean time put up with persistent crashes and slow animation. I just tested out some animation using it on yet another mac - this time with 4 g ram and it is still painfully slow - it only seems to work well with small images such as the ones in the example files and it seems using more than 1 instance of eff at the same time is more or less a no go unless the image is banner size. It looks as if im going to have to abandon this component and look for another, if one even exists - or i have to find a copy of CS3.
May 19, 2009 08:58AM
Cs3 will only remove some of the crashes that happen while using CS4, the effects will still choke if they are running on a big target.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.