Performance issues

Posted by mfulton 
Performance issues
June 17, 2009 01:05AM
I'm having an issue with performance and FlashEFF.

My Flash movie is fairly simple. It starts out with a bitmap zooming into the stage. There's a FlashEff component attached to that object to make it fade out. While the first object is fading out, a second component is faded in, then faded out. After that, a third component is faded in and out.

So, there's a grand total of 3 objects, but only 2 shown at a time. The movie's framerate is set to 12 fps and the whole thing is SUPPOSED to last about 30 seconds. Now here's the thing... on moderate-speed machines, the FlashEff transitions seem to be slowing everything down. On a 1,8ghz netbook, the movie takes about 3x longer to play than it should.

It seems to me that the FlashEff rendering is prioritizing the frame count rather than the playback time. That is, if the frame rate is set to 12 FPS, and the transition time for an object is set to 2 seconds, then FlashEff takes 24 frames to render the transition, regardless of how long that actually takes. If the rendering is only 3 FPS, then the transition time works out to be 8 seconds instead of 2.

That is odd considering that the FlashEff components take time-based parameters for the transition durations and delay periods.

I know this isn't purely a FlashEff problem... Flash itself should have the option to drop frames if needed when on a slower machine. But I was hoping that someone might have some suggestions about what I can do.
Re: Performance issues
June 19, 2009 07:15AM
If you use effects applied to big picture simultaneous your computer will choke. To avoid this try using smaller images and lower the blur or other parameters like that, also increase the duration of the effect.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.